Sunday, February 04, 2007

Teen On The Rape Trial Was "Scared"

Terrance Terrell said he was as scared as anyone the night he reluctantly found himself in the middle of the sadistic rape, robbery and beating of a young couple on their first date, the Bay Shore teenager tearfully testified in his trial yesterday.

Terrell, 19 - one of three former Bay Shore High School students charged in the Dec. 3, 2005, attack - said when he followed Reginald Dugue, 19, and Douglas Payton, 18, out of a car and approached the couple's parked Jeep, he thought they were only going to scare them.

But before long, things spun out of control, said Terrell, who said he was "shocked" when Dugue produced a gun, pistol-whipped the male victim and ordered him and his girlfriend to strip.

"I didn't want to be part of this anymore," said Terrell, as his voice cracked. Terrell said he quickly returned to Payton's car as his friends stayed with the couple. Moments later, he said Dugue came to the car with the gun and the female victim.

"I sat there, I was scared. I didn't know what he was going to do with this gun," said Terrell, as he recalled reluctantly going along as the girl performed oral sex on him when Dugue ordered it. "I was scared that he would have shot me if I pulled the girl off."

Contrary to the female victim's testimony earlier, Terrell said he was never aroused during the incident.

"I was too scared. I wouldn't be able to get aroused by something like that," Terrell testified, as his mother cried and shook her head from her seat in the courtroom.

Prosecutors say Dugue then raped the woman, as Payton restrained her boyfriend and forced him to watch. Dugue and Payton have both pleaded guilty to rape, sodomy and robbery.

Terrell recalled Dugue laughing about the attack as the three teens drove away, but Terrell said, "I didn't find it funny at all."

"I didn't feel right about the whole situation," Terrell said. "I felt low. How would a person do this?"

Terrell's attorney, James Saladino of Riverhead, asked him, "Why didn't you just say, 'Hey, stop. What's going on Reggie? I didn't sign up for this.' "

"I never had a gun pulled on me before," he replied. "I froze."

Terrell said detectives came to arrest him three days later in his high school locker room, minutes before he was to play for the school's basketball team. He said he maintained his innocence, but police coerced him to sign a confession that he never read by telling him that if he did, they would let him return to his game.

Suffolk Assistant District Attorney Kate Wagner pointed out that he did not tell anyone about the crime in the days after it happened.

"You were the victim?" Wagner asked Terrell.

"Yes," he answered, drawing moans and scoffs from many of the victims' supporters in court. "I was forced to do something I didn't want to do."

1 comment:

nickjonas said...

Very nice post.....