Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Townsville Players In Rape Trial

Queensland,AU -- AN 18-year-old woman was allegedly raped by two visiting players and assaulted by a third in a Longreach hotel during celebrations to mark the end of a rugby carnival

Glynn Scott Anderson, Jodi Neil Stojanoff and John Charles Beldan yesterday faced the District Court of Queensland, convened in Longreach, charged with a total of six offences against the agricultural student on February 22, 2004.

Anderson pleaded not guilty to three counts of rape and one of indecent assault, and Stojanoff not guilty to one count of rape. Beldan has pleaded not guilty to one count of attempted rape.

Crown prosecutor Michael Lehane yesterday said the men were members of the Townsville Tigers team, which had won the rugby sevens tournament in Longreach. The team celebrated throughout the night, before ending up at the Royal Hotel, where players were staying.

Mr Lehane said the teenage woman, whom he described as perhaps "a little slow", naive and too trusting, had also been to the carnival and had been seen "dirty dancing" with Townsville Tigers players, including Anderson, at the Starlight Tavern, before she left with another man to have consensual sex at his Royal Hotel room.

Mr Lehane said the man left the room and, when she went to find him, she ended up speaking with several people on the hotel's verandah before being called into another room to join "a party" with five men, including the three accused.

He said the girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, would tell the court the men had asked her to take her shirt off, stopped her putting it back on and asked her to take off her bikini top – a request to which she eventually agreed.

Mr Lehane said the men undressed and asked her to perform oral sex on them, but she refused.

He said one of the men performed oral sex on her, despite her refusals.

Anderson allegedly then performed oral sex and had vaginal sex with the woman. Sex followed between her and Stojanoff. Beldan's alleged attempt was followed by Anderson, who allegedly had vaginal and anal sex with the woman.

Mr Lehane said the woman "shut down", "switched off" and closed her eyes during the alleged offences. The court heard she would say the men treated the alleged offences like a competition, laughing and cheering.

The trial is expected to continue into next week.

Source:The Courrier Mail

No comments: